This “Puto-cheese recipe reminds me of “goldilocks”, they really nearly takes like it. It is soft and cushy and seems to melt in your mouth. Oh, well I’m exaggerating! Try it to know it!
“Puto” is a Filipino dessert and a kind of a steamed rice cake. It is commonly eaten as it is or topped with cheese, butter or grated fresh coconuts and should be soft, moist and puffy, it should never be sticky, dry or crumbly.
- 1 cup all-purpose-flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. refined salt
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 large fresh eggs
- 1/3 cup fresh or evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup water
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- Cheese sliced into small strips if using cup molds or grated cheese if using pans.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Do this twice to make sure the ingredient are combined thoroughly and particles are loose. Set aside.
- Beat eggs thoroughly, add vanilla extract, milk and water. Mix completely.
- Gradually pour dry mixture to wet mixture whipping continuously. Mix thoroughly until texture is smooth and soft and all lumps are gone.
- Pour into a mold or a pan. Place cheese on top of the mixture.
- Steam for 10-15 minutes in boiling temperature.
- It should come out soft and cushy and yummy!
- Serve and have fun!
YIELD: 30 pieces using a medium-sized cup molds